Your Top Wheelchair Friendly Travel Destinations For Couples

WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 212Moderator Moderator
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
We all want to know - What are your absolute favourite Wheelchair Friendly destinations?

Travelling as a couple with a spinal cord injury can be so tough, especially when you're trying to have a romantic getaway with your partner. Headaches are NOT welcome.. travel is hard enough with a chair and all the extra baggage that comes with it. Not to mention ignorance from airport staff, and any unforeseen things that may happen (we all have been there) getting from A to B.  

We are looking for places that take the stress off. Somewhere where you have had a GREAT experience with accommodation, hospitality, amenities, restaurants, car rentals.. etc. Somewhere where the stress is kept to a minimal and you can relax. 

Comment with your favourite destinations now! Please be as specific as possible and include any relevant companies or hotels that stood out as exemplary! 
Your WAGS of SCI
(Elena and Brooke)

Comments

• nightqueen1nightqueen1 Posts: 8Member
    First Comment
    - San Diego and area 
    - Amsterdam (all the smooth bike pathways are amazing) you: rent a bike anywhere there; him: bring a bike attachment for his chair or smart drive (or rent one) and you can get anywhere 
    - Nice, France (flat with a nice promenade and lots of roll in shower air B and B rentals) 
    - I’ve heard that Tenerife is one of the most accessible places in the world but haven’t been there... yet! 
  • skosillsskosills Posts: 13Member
    10 Comments
    edited February 17
    We went to Universal Studios/Orlando. There was a place we were able to rent equipment from, they brought it right to the hotel. There's a walking path and a boat that are both accessible from the resort hotels. The room was accessible as advertised. The parks are easy to get around in, and lots of stuff that is just for looking at (Sea World was great). US even had a roller coaster style ride with a wheelchair accessible car (the ET ride). That was cool. My husband hates traveling but we had a great time and my daughter loved it.
    Sandra
    Peer Mentor for able bodied care givers
    Wife of T7 Complete Para
  • WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 212Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    skosills said:
    We went to Universal Studios/Orlando. There was a place we were able to rent equipment from, they brought it right to the hotel. There's a walking path and a boat that are both accessible from the resort hotels. The room was accessible as advertised. The parks are easy to get around in, and lots of stuff that is just for looking at (Sea World was great). US even had a roller coaster style ride with a wheelchair accessible car (the ET ride). That was cool. My husband hates traveling but we had a great time and my daughter loved it.
    This is amazing thank you. We have always wondered about rides and their accessibility. Was this the only ride that was wheelchair accessible?
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • skosillsskosills Posts: 13Member
    10 Comments
    It was the only "ride" that accommodated someone not able to transfer out of the chair - there are other options like for example boat rides, trams, and the high up elevator towers that wheelchairs could get onto but weren't like roller coaster rides (as that was). Cedar Point in Ohio discusses that on their website  - wheelchair users can access a lot of other non-ride things (in that case also including live shows and the carnival games) so there's no disability discount even though the park is known for its roller coasters. The Toledo Zoo also in Ohio has a terrific wheelchair accessible train that goes around the Africa exhibit. One time we went to Myrtle Beach and the aquarium there had a moving walkway through the main shark tank that the chair fit on, so I think he would have stayed there all day because it moved for him and he didn't have to push himself LOL.
    Sandra
    Peer Mentor for able bodied care givers
    Wife of T7 Complete Para
  • BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 149Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    I traveled to Barcelona when I was 15 without my family (got a scholarship for an academic program), and I was impressed with the accessibility there! Granted, I was 15, so I could be forgetting some factors. I do remember seeing accessible taxis (which someone told me are often free for people who use wheelchairs, but I'd double-check that). I believe all of the buses have ramps, too. Again, it's been a long time since I went, so my memory could be tricking me, but after a quick Google search, I've seen Barcelona listed on multiple lists of accessible travel destinations!

Side note: I was always commenting on the accessibility of various places I went there with my classmates. I just saw one of them for the first time since (7 years!), and he said he still notices accessibility of places everywhere he goes now because of my commentary. Yay for that!