Home New Normal Financial
COVID-19 Concerns
Post your questions or concerns about COVID-19 on Reeve Connect for our Information Specialists and experts to address here.

In Need of Urgent Financial Advice

wheelchairwarlockwheelchairwarlock Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Likes

I will try to make this message as brief as possible. I am a C-4/C-5 quadriplegic as a result of an automobile accident that happened in 2014. Since I came home from rehab hospital, my parents have had to do all my care, except for a brief amount of time, a couple months at most, when an in-home care agency was helping. At first I had full Medicaid coverage, I believe it was the EBD program, and my parents were being paid by the CDASS program for a brief amount of time. That was interrupted when I reported a Special Needs Trust that I received as the result of a settlement from my automobile accident. At first after reporting the trust, I lost all my benefits. After a while I was able to hire a lawyer (the same one who set up the Special Needs Trust) who got some of my benefits reinstated, but only to the QMB program. This doesn't cover any support services for in-home care except on a temporary basis. Needless to say, my parents continued to do all my care through the time my benefits were being reviewed by DHS. In February of this year, they told my lawyer that my case was finally resolved and that all my benefits were to be restored. Both my lawyer and I took that to mean that I would be qualified for long-term care and could start receiving support services at home. Before any agencies could start helping though, we found out that my benefits had only been restored to the QMB program. I'm reaching out to ask you for advice on what my options are, because my parents simply cannot do this anymore, they've been pushed past the breaking point already and we are now looking at nursing homes, but I'd really prefer to stay in my home if that's at all possible. The only way that could be possible though is if my parents don't have to do my care anymore. I'm willing to spend every cent I have to stay in my home but I'm also wondering if I can use the money to set myself up to live independently somewhere. Also, is there any way that I can pay my parents for all the caregiving they've already had to do for the last five years, soon to be six? They deserve to be paid and I can't even pay them myself without getting in trouble as far as I can tell.

Please help me

As one judge said to another: "Be just and if you can’t be just, be arbitrary.” - William S. Burroughs 
Sign In or Register to comment.