Autonomic dysreflexia — Reeve Connect
After October 31, 2021, Nurse Linda will no longer answer questions here.

Please send in your questions using this simple online form.
Reeve Connect will be shut down on October 31, 2021, while we reimagine and refresh our community forum. Thank you for making Reeve Connect a place where all people living with paralysis come to share their stories, tips, and engage in lively discussions. Stay connected with Reeve as we explore new community platforms and bring you an updated site that will be easier to navigate and accessible for all people living with paralysis. You can follow the Reeve Foundation on social media and sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest news on our initiatives and programs.

Read more

Autonomic dysreflexia

natalie33 Member Posts: 1
I need help with chronic dysreflexia that I have been experiencing for about a month. I checked everything and need help. I’m a C5-6 injured 15 years and this has never happened. I would love some advice because I’m not sure what to  do at this point. Been sweating non stop and have the chills. Thanks 🙏🏼 


  • AskNurseLinda
    AskNurseLinda Moderator, Information Specialist Posts: 170 Information Specialist
    100 Comments 25 Likes First Answer Name Dropper
    Hi, @Natalie33, AD is frightening when it happens, especially if you have not experienced it. A couple of things, first have you checked your blood pressure? That will be important information to tell your healthcare professional. Your blood pressure is probably lower than typical as this is what happens after SCI. If your blood pressure is above your normal (20-40 Hg higher than usual systolic, the top number), it can be critical to receive urgent or emergent medical care. An emergency treatment card is available here:
    Sit up and look for something that might be triggering the AD. You might find something bladder, bowel or skin wise, or if internal like an infection, you will not find it. If your blood pressure, sweating and chills does not resolve, call your healthcare professional or go to urgent care or call 911 depending on the severity of your issues. This should not wait. Some people have AD without the increase of blood pressure so you do need care. Take the card with you as it provides the references and directions for the medical care you need. It can be a good assistance for the care providers that you might meet for the first time.
    It could be that you have something other than AD. Although the symptoms are the same, they match other issues as well so best to be safe because something is going on in you body. If your AD symptoms do not resolve, you need emergency care or if they do, you need to know how to proceed so this is controlled in the future. Time to take action. Nurse LInda

    I'm online in this community every Wednesday from 8-9 PM ET to answer your SCI and paralysis related questions.

    Leave a comment any time below. Let's get the discussion going!

    Nurse Linda

    Register for my next webchat! Sign up here!