Accessible Camping — Reeve Connect
Reeve Summit 2021: Where Care, Cure and Community Connect | Virtual Conference | April 27-29, 2021
Register now!
Reeve en Español
Comunidad de información y apoyo para las personas que viven con parálisis y sus cuidadores en español.

Accessible Camping

stephanie426
stephanie426 Moderator Posts: 68 Moderator
10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer
A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of camping at John Dillon Park in the Adirondacks. While the park is closed for the season, my fiance and I were invited to to camp for a few days and provide our input for an accessibility review to improve access at this already accessible park! 

I absolutely love John Dillon Park because it's secluded, there are wheelchair accessible lean-tos, accessible out houses, great trails, and even portable batteries so that people in power chairs can camp without worrying! 

This is a lean-to with a portable battery in it!
This is the lake that you can see from campsites and kayak on if you bring your own kayak! This is the camp area in front of the lean-to with an accessible fire pit!
We even can bring our dog, Rocky! Rocky loves camping and sniffing everything on the trails! 

Where are your favorite places to camp?

Comments

• ambercollie
    ambercollie Moderator Posts: 168 Moderator
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Likes 5 Awesomes
    @stephanie426 wow just read this post! What state is this in? Looks like a Beautiful place to camp, it’s definitely harder to find wheelchair accessible camping places. 
    Glad you got to go and give input.
  • stephanie426
    @ambercollie This is in the Adirondacks in New York! Definitely worth a visit!
  • heatherkrill
    heatherkrill Moderator Posts: 100 Moderator
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Awesomes
    We are heading to Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor at the end of June, so I will report out.  Our family does a lot of camping nearby our home as we live in the White Mountains of northern NH.  However, we are more into the "get away from it all" which tends to mean less accessibility in some cases.  But, we have always lucked out in campgrounds.  
  • ambercollie
    ambercollie Moderator Posts: 168 Moderator
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Likes 5 Awesomes
    @heatherkrill definitely report back after June’s camping trip!
    We are heading to the sequoia‘s in near future and Hawaii in late June! 
  • stephanie426
    Hey All, 

Just an update that I love John Dillon Park so much that my nonprofit is hosting an empowerment camp for girls with disabilities there this summer!!

If you know any girls with disabilities between 13-17, encourage them to apply! This is going to be an incredible experience where we have fun, bond, learn about survival and leadership skills, and - of course- eat s'mores!!

You can learn more about EmpowHer Camp here.

And the application for our camp is here.