How did your accident happen and what level are you? - Page 2 — Reeve Connect
Reeve Connect will be shut down on October 31, 2021, while we reimagine and refresh our community forum. Thank you for making Reeve Connect a place where all people living with paralysis come to share their stories, tips, and engage in lively discussions. Stay connected with Reeve as we explore new community platforms and bring you an updated site that will be easier to navigate and accessible for all people living with paralysis. You can follow the Reeve Foundation on social media and sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest news on our initiatives and programs.

Read more

How did your accident happen and what level are you?

2»

Comments

• iamdadman
    iamdadman Moderator Posts: 195 Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Awesomes
    @ctlive2ski
    I am so very glad that you are here.  I can relate to the not remembering part... I was put in an ambulance and then  airlifted to Harborview Regional Trauma Center, had surgery, and don't remember a thing until waking up in ICU a week later.  I am sorry to hear about the loss of your occupation.  I loved my job and had retired in 2006.  I did come to the realization that my work doesn't define me just as my non-working legs don't either.  As we all do, you are making the best of a sucky situation.  I too do a lot of volunteer work with several organizations.  It gets me out of my own head.  I am glad you are here and wish you nothing but the very best...

Joe  
  • Darla
    Darla Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    It is my son, he is 31 years old and he's a T3 level. I wish I had a magic wand for everybody, every time I see someone in a wheelchair I want to protect them. My son was two years old when this happened. A nine year old boy came to the door a brother of my oldest son's friend, he wanted my son to come out and play, we lived in a hotel on the 5th floor. I was in taking a bath and I was almost done, my oldest son answered the door and  said Mom, let Bubba go out in the hall and play, I'll keep an eye on him and I figured I was almost done with my bath so only a few more minutes wouldn't hurt, but that's all it took. There was a backpack out in front of my door and my youngest was the first one out the door that day, him and that nine year old boy was fighting over the backpack and the boy threw it out the window and when my son looked out the window to see where it landed he pushed him and he fell six stories onto a flat roof top. My oldest son come running in telling me Mom bubba went out the window and I said go get him cuz it didn't dawn on me that something like that would happen and he says no Mom bubba went out the window and I threw my dress on and went downstairs and my son was still conscious and he tried to lift himself up and I touched his shoulder and I said no stay down we were in the hospital for hours, I didn't know if he was going to live. They put him in a drug-induced coma for two weeks and both of his legs in traction he broke both femurs damages liver his kidneys his bladder ruptured his spleen broke some ribs punctured a hole in his lung, his lung started filling up with blood, they removed his spleen and became paraplegic it was very traumatic and it still is he's had so many difficulties ever since he almost died last year he had an infection in both of his feet and they had to drain his feet and remove one of his and remove one foot he wears a bag on his stomach because he was literally throwing up number 2 out of his mouth now since he got his foot removed last February 2018 he lays in bed with a broken Harrington rod and because they haven't gotten around fixing the Harrington Rod still to this day the rod has rubbed against his spine so much that his back is broke now. He is really depressed and I don't know what to do but I hope there's somebody out there with some suggestions I pray for all of you
  • iamdadman
    @Darla
    Man oh man, I truly feel for you.  I was injured when I was 59 and the trauma of being paralyzed after being able bodied all that time was really rough.  What helped me the most was being around other people in wheelchairs.  Another person in a wheelchair understands as no one else can.  As much as you love your son, you are able bodied and unable to experience first hand what it is like to spend most of your life sitting in a wheelchair.  I made friends who supported me and understood first hand what it was like... the anger... the depression... the frustration... sadness... loneliness... the barriers in todays society that need to be overcome... try to find any kind of support group... a lot of times... hospitals will have groups up and running.  if not, google wheelchair support groups... I know your son faces countless challenges but he either decides to face and handle them or isolate and feel miserable.  You love your son so much and want to help, try to find a support group or people in wheelchairs who do activities like going somewhere, doing some kind of activity anything to stimulate his interest is staying active and involved.  I know it is easier said than done.  I always remind myself of a line from the movie Shawshank Redemption.  Morgan Freeman's character says, "you either get busy living or you get busy dying."  I am sure you and your son would rather get busy living...

Joe
  • Zcollie
    Zcollie Moderator Posts: 239 Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Anniversary
    @ctlive2ski Wow. I am sorry to hear that. That is a crazy story. Thank you for sharing. I am happy to hear you found a new purpose and did not give up. Life certain goes on and it is up to use to decide if we want to continue moving forward or not. I have learned that my attitude and perspective play a huge role in how I live with my SCI. I too have found my new purpose and so grateful for what I have achieved on my own since my accident in 2010. 
    Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. -SONIA RICOTTI
  • astralie
    astralie Member Posts: 2
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    For me my story isn't very long as I don't remember it myself. This is the story I was told happened (Which has a bit of guess work to it).
    When I was 7 I was walking on my own along a path on a road that isn't too busy, while walking I was hit by a car that then drove off. Apparently another car went by and came to help me and called an ambulance. 
    I was in a coma for around 2 and a half weeks and woke up forgetting what had happened and a lot of other memories, as well as becoming a C5 complete quadriplegic.
    Not a very long story due to my lack of memory of it which is both good and bad I guess.
    astralie - C5 complete quadriplegic 
  • iamdadman
    @astralie
    I can relate.  I don't remember how I fell nor the ambulance nor the helicopter ride to the regional trauma center.  I managed to fall due to my type 1 diabetes.  I somehow fell inside my home when I had a severe episode of low blood sugar.  I don't remember anything until waking up a week after my injury in ICU.  I am glad you found us and share your story with us...

Joe

• astralie
    astralie Member Posts: 2
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    @iamdadman
    thanks
    astralie - C5 complete quadriplegic 
  • Kanade
    Kanade Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hey, I'm Kanade. 
    For me when I was 5 I was in a serious car accident where my brain and spine were badly damaged. I don't know much other then that. I had a C1/C2 level injury and a severe TBI from it. Obviously I'm very paralyzed but I love going online with help of care givers and eye tracking.