Virtual Learning — Reeve Connect
Reeve en Español
Comunidad de información y apoyo para las personas que viven con parálisis y sus cuidadores en español.

Virtual Learning

PRC_Chris
PRC_Chris Member, Moderator Posts: 12 Moderator
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
With classes started or getting ready to begin, what are some things that you are doing to prepare for the coming school year?  Are you or your loved ones engaging in virtual classes?  What are some of your concerns? How are you making your home accessible and study or work-friendly? 

Comments

• ambercollie
    ambercollie Moderator Posts: 187 Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes Second Anniversary 25 Likes
    @PRC_Chris Yep everything online. My son is in a Masters Program each class is 3hrs Long, he has 2 back to back same day starts at 4pm ends at 10pm 6 hours sitting in his office on zoom! He definitely liked being on campus better! 
    But it is what it is...
  • ilsecronin
    ilsecronin Member Posts: 0
    Thank you, this question was also relevant to me.
  • stephanie426
    stephanie426 Moderator Posts: 80 Moderator
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer
    I just finished teaching for the semester and I was really surprised by how well my students learned and stayed engaged, even on a virtual platform. I was afraid that without the in-person connection, our discussions would be hard to manage - or worse - fall flat. That wasn't the case though! Our discussions were robust, people were respectful of the awkward pauses that zoom can create, and I think it really helped a lot of my students access learning. Many of my students work, have kids, and are in college all at the same time. By not having to come to a physical classroom, my students were able to care for their children, attend class even when they were feeling under the weather, and were better able to balance school and work. 
  • ambercollie
    ambercollie Moderator Posts: 187 Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes Second Anniversary 25 Likes
    @stephanie426 that is great! I have heard a lot of negative feedback from online/zoom classes so nice to hear a positive one!
    What do you teach?
  • stephanie426
    stephanie426 Moderator Posts: 80 Moderator
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer
    @ambercollie I teach human services students about person-centered planning and respecting the dignity of people with disabilities!