RECOVERY TIME

CruckerCrucker Posts: 52Moderator Moderator
25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
Here's what I'd like to know from other member that I think would be incredibly valuable to someone who is newly paralyzed.  How long did it take until you felt you had emotionally "recovered" or at least felt you could go on with your life? My guess is that the answers are all over the map.

Comments

• EmmsEmms Posts: 37Member ✭✭
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    Great question! I believed I'd accepted my fate after a year. I started back at university, had my day to day issues sorted at the time. I still swore every time I came across a heavy sprung door, swore at my chair when I didn't take a curb right and it dumped me out on the pavement, stupidly putting my hands out didn't help and the grazes I swore at for the next couple of weeks whilst I pushed on them. Looking back, choosing my first cool chair didn't really really change the vibes much, though I thought I'd 'like' it better. True acceptance came I believe between 3-5 years. After 3 years I felt like I could truly love myself again, and I opened up more to myself. I looked like was open before, but it was a mask, like a crutch. I needed people to see I looked happy, because people left you alone if you smiled and they'd say how well you were coping. I got on with everything because I didn't want anyone doing anything for me, and to prove to everyone I could. And in turn, that stubborn behaviour led me to realise I needed a mask no longer, and I was actually doing the things I did because I wanted to. It just phased into being real somewhere along the line. That for me was the closure to the past and the start of a new me.
    I think! In everyone else's eyes, I just got on with it. Before, inside, I missed all the things I'd wanted to do still. I was envious of things my friends did. I followed events that I was into, slightly too obsessively. Looking up map routes like I was actually going to be doing it. Now, I make myself do those things the way I'm able. I make it into something I can to. I can't do the Lejog, glens, fells and mountains,  but I can do canal paths, long distance walking/bridal trails and much more.  It's not climbing mountains, but it's the act of doing something that feels like I am. Every achievement gives me self gratification, which is very addictive. First it was the first floor to chair... chair into bath etc. Now its miles .. how many miles. :) Even just the planning how to make something happen, gives me a good feeling. 

I gave myself too many massive goals at the beginning where I ended up losing to my own game. That was my mistake. I gave myself dated goals, when I had no idea how long something would take me to achieve. 
    Let ones body rest and ones mind heal, and when one is fit, he'll have the strength to do the things that matter, which ever way he's able. Keeping my mind busy helps me stay focused, so I can concentrate on what I need to do physically, which in turn keeps my mind alive, positive and well. When I'm tired physically because I've done something active, I feel amazing. Anything that gives you that feeling, is worth using for a continued happy mental state. When I feel blue about it, I'll get my bike out, or plan something to do about it. :smiley:
    “Inhale the future. Exhale the past.”

• CruckerCrucker Posts: 52Moderator Moderator
    I don't even know what "Lejog" is but hanging out with you when you first went down, I wouldn't have worried too much that you'd find your way back. You've got "grit" written all over you. The time factor throws a lot of people off. I was in the hospital for seven weeks after I had contracted transverse myelitis and the following Monday I was back in an office writing a TV special. A week later I was in the ICU with a deadly pulmonary embolism. I had to learn to slow it down and simply wait for my body to catch up with my brain.

I hope someone who is newly paralyzed and antsy about getting back into life and "proving" herself reads the above. Time is your friend in this situation. It is even on your side.
    I like "recovery" as a topic of conversation. I think it's the big enchilada in all of this paralysis business. I hope other people tune in.
    @Crucker Lejog is, Land's End to John o' Groats is a south-west to north-east traversal of the whole length of the UK. lol It's a 10 -14 day smile on a bike! lol ;)

Long way to go in a chair, but imagine the press coverage!

@Crucker hehe, it would certainly be a feat, the press would love it! Those downhills, what a blast it would be! But plenty of uphills too. ;) I try to live without limits, but, lol. Trips of 200 miles are more within my shoulders and work limits. ;)

How do we get other people to join our conversation? Or maybe they aren't interested.
    @Crucker maybe we should 'namedrop' a few ;) lol

Good idea, but whom?
  • garrisonreddgarrisonredd Posts: 102Moderator Moderator
    25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
    Take a look at my video on youtube demonstrating how I walk with braces may be useful for those that have the ability
    https://youtu.be/NjptsadMRuQ
    Will do, Garrison, thanks.