What types of activities do you enjoy?

jaarchjaarch Posts: 48Moderator Moderator
25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
Just wondering what types of adaptive activities everyone participates in? I don't compete, at least not yet, but I love to shoot. I shoot bows, pistols, rifles, air pistols and air rifles. I also have a hand cycle. The area I live in is pretty rural so I am able to shoot the bow and air guns in my back yard. I have a 20 yard range for my bow and a 10 meter set up for the air guns.

Comments

• EmmsEmms Posts: 37Member ✭✭
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Likes Name Dropper
    edited February 20
    I love anything where I'm outside, or just generally active! I love basketball, but these days I don't play for the game, more for the fun of the training and the zooming around on a flat court in a fast chair! I enjoy hand cycling, my bike is really old, but I love it! It's from New Halls wheels, he no longer makes them. Not sure what I'd get if I was looking to replace it! I had it sent over from the states about 15 years ago. I keep it in the greenhouse in the winter to train on rollers. I love gardening. We have chickens, and a veg patch and the greenhouse. I'd have a small holding if I could! I like studying, there's tonnes of MOOC courses now, which fills my desire to learn. Love cooking, especially sourdoughs, and I love watching the yeasts under the microscope. lol I like knitting, but only small things like socks, with lace charts and colour work, small enough to go in my bag and use thin fingering yarn, they are just a nice small challenges and I've always got a use for long merino/alpaca socks! I have friends with alpacas, so am lucky to get fibre to spin and dye from them!  I sew for a living, but enjoy it for fun too. I like making my clothes, and home bits and pieces. We do quite a bit of woodwork. We've just finished refurbishing the downstairs of our house. Mmmm we have kayaks and kite and buggy.. which are always good fun! We like camping and backpacking and long walks, I particularly like anything with a decent downhill! ;) 
    “Inhale the future. Exhale the past.”

• jaarchjaarch Posts: 48Moderator Moderator
    Wow!You sure do keep busy Emms! We also have chickens and a garden. Fortunately, we don't need a greenhouse here as our weather is not too severe. I also stay busy just taking care of our property. We have 1.2 acres and it's mostly grass (and weeds) Lol!!
    @jaarch  hehe, I love being a busy bee. ;) That's a lot of weeding! I've got one lonely chicken atm, she's in retirement, though just started sporadically laying again with the longer light hours. She's nine years old, ten next month! She's outlived her whole flock. I decided to wait until she's gone to get a new flock. She's too old to be bothered with young hens, and 5 against 1 isn't really fair. What sort of chooks do you have over there? My Molly is a Bluebelle hybrid. I'd certainly get more of her again, but I'm longing for some orpingtons, maybe some cream leg bars, maybe wyandottes, Marans .. but will most likely end up with the practical rhode islands and a fancy hen lol

• SterlionSterlion Posts: 69Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Quad rugby has hands down been the best adaptive sport I've done. You could say I'm biased by being a former football player. I've also done wheelchair basketball which was also fun. It is just hard to keep up with paras so it wasn't the best. Haven't really tried anything else, but @Emms has given me a few ideas ;)
    @Sterlion chickens? hehehe

• SterlionSterlion Posts: 69Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    @Emms Actually yes. That was one of them 😎
  • trevorsendeavortrevorsendeavor Posts: 36Moderator Moderator
    I have been contacted by a few different people wanting me to try out sled hockey, but i haven't had the time yet. I grew up playing sports and have been wanting to get more involved doing something again in a team atmosphere. I have been injured now for a little over two years and just haven't taken the leap to add something new to the routine. Trying something new like that can be pretty intimidating at first but I know I would love it!
    @trevorsendeavor I hope you get the time to give it a try! 
    @Emms My wife got our chicks from our local Tractor Supply. We have four hens and they are all different. I have no idea what breeds they are. We have a large black one (Peeps), a large red one(Pecky), a bantam black one (Chirp Chirp) , and a multi colored Bantam whose markings look more like a duck than a chicken (Duckie). They are all almost a year old.
    @jaarch awww, they sound lovely! I do love the little bantams! I had a pekin and two silkies a few years ago, they were hilarious! 

• CruckerCrucker Posts: 55Moderator Moderator
    edited February 26
    Chickens aside, every para, at least, should try adaptive skiing at least once in their life. I'm no pro but have done it enough to say it is the most thrilling thing I've ever done in a chair. You are strapped into a bucket seat atop a mono ski and given two small hand skis for manuervering. You usually start out with an instructor connected to a long rope so you won't go flying off a hill. And flying is the operative word. You go extremely fast on one ski and since you are so low to the ground, falling is akin to sliding into third in baseball. I once tumbled off a lift and took a hard fall, but in general adaptive skiing is less precarious than conventional skiing and such a rush!

@Crucker I can't wait until I get to try skiing. I need to drop about ten pounds first. I'm getting there though!
  • CruckerCrucker Posts: 55Moderator Moderator
    I did it under the best of circumstances, with a great instructor tethered to me by a fifty foot rope so I wouldn't hit a tree or completely lose control. Then he angled me down the hill and just pushed. Instantly I learned that the faster you go, the more control you have, and since you are not afraid of falling and cracking your skull, you just concentrate on maintaining control. The only time I saw the instructor was when I fell over -- more than once -- and he helped me back on my monoski.

Something I haven't done and would really like to -- get back on a horse. If you know of anyone doing adaptive horse riding in the LA area, please pass on the info.
  • cruiseybabbbycruiseybabbby Posts: 18Moderator Moderator
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    I've gotten quite into painting! I use an adaptive mouth stick that attaches to a paintbrush with my various color options just within reach and then I get after it!

I was born and raised living on the water so most of my paintings are nautical themed and quite bright. I find that once I'm deep in a painting it is an amazing place to be mentally! I find myself thinking and talking to myself about topics that have absolutely nothing to do with the art that I am creating. Therapeutic in a way.

I would definitely recommend that those with an SCI give it a shot and see how they like it! I'm here if you have any questions whatsoever!
  • deborahvickdeborahvick Posts: 37Member
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    I saw the title adaptive sports and had to jump in here. I can't do as many as I used to but I still love them. I once was able to surf kayak, adaptive water ski, mono-ski, kayak and ice skate on a sledge hockey skate.... I can no longer. I can though, still Bi-Ski with fixed outriggers. It was hard to transition because I wanted the speed of the bi-ski or the mono-ski I once used, but once I got over what I couldn't do, I learned to enjoy what I could still do. I love adaptive sports. I, for years, adapted Taekwondo and completed all the forms in my chair. I even spun wheelies to represent roundhouse kicks. It may no longer be in my future, but adaptive sports are an amazing way to take back part of your life in fun and exciting ways. I will never regret pushing my body, on most cases much further than I should have, as I have memories and experiences that are out of this world!

When I teach scouts about disabilities, I always talk about the adaptive sports. Last year, I was able to bring youth sports chairs for the scouts to use. IT was a great experience all around. This year after presenting at a merit badge meeting for Disability Awareness, I received a new neckerchief slide... it has the hotwheels BMX wheelchair! So very cool!
    Don't let today's struggles keep you from enjoying the days in yet to come!- Deborah Vick
    @deborahvick I love your attitude! I have pretty much the same outlook. Don't dwell on what you can't do, focus on what you can!!
  • deborahvickdeborahvick Posts: 37Member
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    Yes, I find it helps most days. There are those moments... But if we focus on what could have been we will miss out on "y. I can not do this now, though I am fighting to be allowed to finish my last five units and receive the degree I earned. Not to work full time but rather to help me on my path now as a patient advocate. I may not be able to serve a large community in congress or the White House (yes it was my dream for many years to run for POTUS), I know I make an impact in the lives of the kids I work with in my community. Ironically, one of my biggest hurdles - mentally as I am a stubborn NY gal- was making the switch from the bi-ski to the bi-ski with outriggers. Partly because I know believe that I can not ski independently, partly because it was an admission that things were progressing and mostly because I didn't want to lose more speed! I remember how fun the mono-ski was!!! I lost the enjoyment of my first day of skiing as I was dwelling or "mopping" about the "what could have".... I got over it and enjoyed what I could do. And of course had a blast doing it! It's easy to get caught up in the things that are not possible but as a person whose norm can change from moment to moment, I try my darndest to squeeze what I can into those good moments. (typically overdoing it too)
    Don't let today's struggles keep you from enjoying the days in yet to come!- Deborah Vick
  • jasontatejasontate Posts: 1Member
    First Comment
    All sports!! Im really fast so I like to run (varsity cross country and track teams at hs currently) and play basketball, football, and soccer mainly but i enjoy mostly all sports. I really like anything that involves physical activity!
    run 3 free