How the bench press can help with transferring for paraplegics — Reeve Connect
Reeve Connect will be shut down on October 31, 2021, while we reimagine and refresh our community forum. Thank you for making Reeve Connect a place where all people living with paralysis come to share their stories, tips, and engage in lively discussions. Stay connected with Reeve as we explore new community platforms and bring you an updated site that will be easier to navigate and accessible for all people living with paralysis. You can follow the Reeve Foundation on social media and sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest news on our initiatives and programs.

Read more

How the bench press can help with transferring for paraplegics

garrisonredd
garrisonredd Moderator Posts: 162 Moderator
Second Anniversary 25 Awesomes 25 Likes 10 Comments
The Bench Press is a compound exercise. It works your chest, shoulders and triceps most. It's the most effective exercise to gain upper-body strength and muscle mass because it's the upper-body exercise you'll lift most weight on (more than Overhead Press).

The Muscles Used in the Bench Press are the same muscles you use when you are transferring. 

Comments

• ambercollie
    ambercollie Moderator Posts: 191 Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes Second Anniversary 25 Likes
    Great exercise for Para’s for sure!
  • Brandilane1
    Brandilane1 Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Good to know, thank you!
  • Sterlion
    Sterlion Moderator Posts: 109 Moderator
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Likes 5 Awesomes
    edited May 7
    I’m a quadriplegic and am able to transfer. I use to bench three times a week but stopped when I started a new job and noticed my transfers got a little more difficult. Didn’t think benching was helping me that much because it seemed like I was using different muscles and going a different direction. So now that you mentioned this it does makes sense and I need to get back to working out lol