Universal designs and adaptive equipment available for the homes of people living with paralysis — Reeve Connect
Reeve en Español
Comunidad de información y apoyo para las personas que viven con parálisis y sus cuidadores en español.

Universal designs and adaptive equipment available for the homes of people living with paralysis

caslanian
caslanian Administrator, Moderator Posts: 76 Reeve Staff
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes Name Dropper
edited April 13 in Living with Paralysis
Check out the newest video in the Adaptive Tools for Independence series: Universal Design, created by Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation and Craig Hospital. https://www.christopherreeve.org/living-with-paralysis/home-travel/universal-design

Comments

• Brandilane1
    Brandilane1 Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Thank you for the post. I am a T-10 complete.  I keep running notes for “my next build.”  My only other custom build is pretty great but I like to dream and shoot for more/better. Some of this stuff I have and some of this stuff I want. It may never happen but I think it will unless my priorities change. Before my first build I contacted the Christopher Reeves Ctr for the first time ever and tried to find out how I could get some financial help for the expensive kitchen/bathroom I wanted. What I ended up with was a $35 book on ideas for building an accessible home. I would have much rather had a $20k donation lol but what I received was worth way more than $35 and it makes my life easier every single day and it always will. There wasn’t really free help for someone like me who had a decent job and income. But I started reading the book and continued saving for all the extra things that would cost more than your average home buyer would need. Turns out that # was about 10k. So many things (like ramps) didn’t cost me a dime because I picked out the flattest lot known to man (my #1 priority and hard to find but WELL worth it).  I had spent 12 years in an apartment that was not accessible then finally pulled the trigger and signed up to break ground on my first home. 

I visited the house about every other day after work and enjoyed the building process so much. Shout out to The Builders Group in Tuscaloosa AL. I moved in just 5 short months later and I called it my dream home for a month or so haha. Then I started taking notes for “my dream house.”My current house really is great but I want everything that I missed or took a shortcut on. I see a lot of things on this video like that. But really just to have a dream is great. It took me 12 years to dream it up, save for it and build it. Dreaming gives you hope. Hope gives you the energy to keep pushing.  If you can dream it, you can do it. Don’t give up. Let’s get there. Together. 
  • Brandilane1
    Brandilane1 Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Here is the book 
  • Sterlion
    Sterlion Moderator Posts: 107 Moderator
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Likes 5 Awesomes
    caslanian said:
    Check out the newest video in the Adaptive Tools for Independence series: Universal Design, created by Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation and Craig Hospital. https://www.christopherreeve.org/living-with-paralysis/home-travel/universal-design

This was really cool. Is there any resources on what products were used or how to go about getting them installed?
  • ambercollie
    ambercollie Moderator Posts: 172 Moderator
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Likes 5 Awesomes
    This is Very cool and great info!