Article: "Shoulder Pain Relief for Wheelchair Users With Spinal Cord Injury"

BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 176Moderator Moderator
100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Photogenic

Comments

• WAGSofSCIWAGSofSCI Posts: 338Moderator Moderator
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes First Answer
    My husband has intense nerve pain in his left shoulder and doctors have not been able to help him with it. The cause isn't muscle pain, its the fact that some of his muscles in his left arm are more paralyzed than his right. When he overuses it, it stings and burns. We have found that Serrapeptase (120,000 IU) is the only thing that eliminates the pain. Anyone else have nerve pain in their shoulders? Thanks for this link. - Brooke 
    Your WAGS of SCI
    (Elena and Brooke)
  • Jackmax61Jackmax61 Posts: 3Member
    First Comment
    Hello , my son who is paraplegic from the nipple down get shoulder pain , but we think it is muscle pain rather than nerve pain but the thing that works for him is stretching, lying on the plinth bed and putting his arms above his head , perhaps you should find out about something like Gabapentin or Pragablin for your hubby they are nerve pain meds . 
  • DoryDory Posts: 1Member
    Photogenic First Comment
    Hi, my son became a paraplegic about 4yrs ago he's 43yrs old. He went from totally healthy to falling and losing bodily functions  The drs aren't sure what happen but once they found out that his spine concaved out of the dura of the spine the first surgeon tried close the hole but was unsuccessful,but he was able to walk and he was left with a lot of pain from nerve damage.  After 2yrs he could hardly walk and had to have another surgery which left him a paraplegic and of course more nerve pain.  This is what I'm trying to find help for him, he taught himself how to self manipulate to have bowel movements and has done so for about 4yrs, he had hemmorods and fishers which gave him more pain, he's had 2 botox treatments which did nothing after the last one his dr said there is so much damage on the inside and left him with unbelievable pain he's been bedridden for over a yr. the pain is so bad he can't sit.  He isn't your typical paraplegic because when they operated on him they cut him in the thoracic part of his back which is high between his shoulder blades, so he feels everything, unlike others who don't feel pain. Can anyone relate to this and are there anything you can suggest on how he can get help and know what he can do at this point.  Thank you all for listening, Sharon
  • BrookeUBrookeU Posts: 176Moderator Moderator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes Photogenic
    Hi, @Dory! I wish I had answers for you, but I send you my best. You might have better luck finding answers if you post this in the "Introduce Yourself" section if you haven't already!
  • Jackmax61Jackmax61 Posts: 3Member
    First Comment
    Oh Sharon how unbelievably terrible for you all , it’s just to terrible to even imagine the pain your son must be in , I don’t have any solution for you but perhaps going to the “ introduce yourself “ section may bring an answer for you from someone , my son is paraplegic the result of an old man using a stick to operate the gas pedal in the car he was driving , he was unable to use his feet to brake and avoid my son who was going about his daily work , some of the stories I have read ASR’s so unbelievable it just is so unfair that these things happen to our loved ones , some days I think did this really happen, thank goodness this site has been created, Juliet 
  • PeterPeter Posts: 1Member
    First Comment
    Jackmax61 mentioned "lying on the plinth bed and putting his arms above his head." I do exactly this 2-3 times week on a physical therapy type table at a community center for individuals with a variety of disabilities, including SCI.  Another suggestion from crutch maker and long-time crutch user Tom Fetterman is hemp balm. His web page for the salve is https://fetterman-crutches.com/collections/all-natural-arthritis-pain-relief-salve. I have not tried it, but it works for him.