Medicaid and Moving to Another State? — Reeve Connect
Reeve Connect will be shut down on October 31, 2021, while we reimagine and refresh our community forum. Thank you for making Reeve Connect a place where all people living with paralysis come to share their stories, tips, and engage in lively discussions. Stay connected with Reeve as we explore new community platforms and bring you an updated site that will be easier to navigate and accessible for all people living with paralysis. You can follow the Reeve Foundation on social media and sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest news on our initiatives and programs.

Read more

Medicaid and Moving to Another State?

aoreo
aoreo Member Posts: 3
First Comment
Curious if anyone knows how Medicaid works if you want to move to another State?

Comments

• leksa
    leksa Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments
       I had my accident in one state and stayed there for three years in a nursing home. My cousin wanted me to be closer to her and be near a rehab hospital. It took one year of paperwork to allow me to move. I don't know if that helps.
  • aoreo
    aoreo Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Thank you. Did you move first... so that you were 1 year without Medicaid support?  I wasn’t sure if you have to be a resident first to apply for Medicaid in another state. 
  • leksa
    leksa Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments
      When I had my accident I lived in Indiana. I was in a nursing home for three years with full coverage. Then I moved to Michigan to a new nursing home. The coverage was seamless so there were no interruptions. It's just that when you're dealing with the government everything takes a while.
  • slomobile
    slomobile Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    One thing you will need is to establish proof of first date of residence in your new state.  That means something that shows a date and specific address.  A utility bill, rent receipt, voter registration, vehicle registration, credit card bill, cable bill work fine.  It is possible to live in a place for years without having  the commonly accepted forms of proof if everything is in your caregiver's name.  Put something with recurring payments in your name at your address to establish date of residence.